It is currently Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:25 pm

Upgrade to V6 does not take my V5 produced database 

Post Upgrade to V6 does not take my V5 produced database
In trying to bring my V5Pro developed database over to the V6Dev upgrade certain functions will not work. Functions such as Add, Delete, Update will not work. Th error message given when attempted to view in the Live View is a script error as in the example below:

Script error detected at line 2788.
Source line: SQL = SQL & " VVi."Ser"," & vbCrLf
Description: Expected end of statement

I have gone through Support, but there was no solution and the problem persisted. I have attempt to switch to another SQL Server 2005, but the script error results are the same. I have tried to rebuild the database using the V5 field and criteria and again same problem.

All I want to do is to be able to use the text authoring tools and other new plug-ins in certain fields and hence why I went to V6. I cannot start from scratch as the data gained thus far is not perishable.

Has anybody had the same problem and more importantly is there a fix? A simple fic would be nice.

The public view of the existing website may be seen at http://veteranvoice.info/db/query_recor ... search.asp

CJ

Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:14 am
Profile E-mail

Post Re: Upgrade to V6 does not take my V5 produced database
Generate your site using V6 and then manually edit the generated pages where the errors occur. In the example given the vbscript is incorrect because of improper quoting. To see what it should be put in a debug line to display the SQL - something like this should do it:
response.write "<br>" & SQL & "<br>"

Regards
Richard

Sat Dec 18, 2010 7:38 pm
Profile E-mail WWW

Thanks for that but I must admit I am not an advance user. Just figured I would get more advanced advice on this thread :) V6Dev was not even the upgrade that wanted. Initially I paid for V6Pro upgrade but ended up with the Dev. I need user-friendly instructions, and instructions that this old paratrooper's grey matter can comprehend. With that said, how do I fix or do I just start all over again in a blank SQL 2005 db and load in my data after?

CJ

Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:35 am
Profile E-mail

Hi Bumpsy,
1. Generate the asp pages using version 6.
2. Transfer the pages to a new folder on your server so they don't overwrite your existing site (e.g. put them in a folder called testdb instead of in db.
3. View the new site using your browser.
4. Note the name of the page that gives you the error together with the line number etc that you provided previously.
5. Now open that file in Notepad and go to the line in error and correct it.
6. Transfer the corrected page to your server using an ftp program.
7. Continue this process until you get no more errors.

This will not fix the original problem, which is likely to be a bug in dbQwiksite or some corruption in your project, but will allow you to get going. If you regenerate though you will lose your changes.

Your other alternative is to create a new project using Version 6. You should be able to access your exisitng SQL Server data from the new porject.

Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:31 am
Profile E-mail WWW

Thanks alot :D

Very much appreciated.

CJ

Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:04 am
Profile E-mail

I have had to start from scratch, including on a new, not previously used SQL Server 2005 db. To verify where the 500 Error lies (and in the V6Dev Live Preview, a Script Error), I have not loaded any of my data, nor have I used any of my own coding, all tables are brand new, including new fields, all from scratch.

When using the Live Preview, using the Update, Delete, or Copy elements I get the same error as before in my V5Pro brought over to V6Dev. Again it identifies a script error on a particular line in the Live Preview. An example is as below:

Script error detected at line 1584.
Source line: SQL = SQL & " VVidb."Ser"," & vbCrLf
Description: Expected end of statement

I have downloaded the V6Dev program several times from the site thinking perhaps there was a bug in the download process. Still the same problem.

Considering that everything is new and from scratch this problem leads me to assume that the bug script error is some how being generated through the program itself.

Any ideas?

CJ

Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:29 am
Profile E-mail

CJ it's difficult to debnug this without the full page but you could amend the line 1584 to read:
SQL = SQL & "VVidb.Ser" & "," & vbCrLf
and try it.

Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:47 pm
Profile E-mail WWW

Thanks!

Apparently there was an upgrade 6.0.0.8 to correct just my problem, that I was unaware about. I downloaded it, and the problem was corrected. I guess it was a bug in the V6. The only problem now is that my RTF plug-in doesn't work :?

CJ

Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:12 am
Profile E-mail