It is currently Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:29 pm

Small complaint 

Post Small complaint
I purchased v4 Pro and just upgraded to latest Developer - and am happy with the price.
So I shouldn't have a complaint, but I have.

I downloaded and installed. When dbQwikSite started it told me a new version was available (would have thought that having just purchased I would have downloaded the most recent version).

Only a little put out by this, I then clicked on the Live Update button. Went through the download and installation again . . .. and dbQwikSite was still at the previous version...and telling me update to latest.

Contacted help (thank you Molly)....and again went through the download and installation process...this time with success.

I like this product (obviously) but it is the small details that can put people off.

Another small detail. When I pay I dont expect any nag messages or prompts visible. There are THREE in dbQwiksite.....on Run Options (Run as Developer Full Trial)...under File (Enable Full Trial Mode)...and under Help (Enable Full Trial Mode).

P.S. In the topic name Top Dog Yaps the word diaglog is misspelt.

Thu May 29, 2008 5:04 pm
Profile E-mail
Site Admin

Post Re: Small complaint
Good to hear that your complaints are not too severe :P

We have a had a lot of issues with updates, it seems that download does not complete but the update fails to report. In our own defense, the live update is hosted in the USA not Thailand, we've moved server about 3 times, and none seem to really perform. So any suggestions of good servers is welcome. The actual download part is not written by us it is a third party programming component. Given the experiences reported by our users, we are looking at alternatives.

This is the second time I heard that offering full trial in the same exe is "nagging". From our perspective, we intend it as a convenience feature. Any one that does not have the full blown edition (this includes PE, Publisher, Express, Pro and Ecom) can test drive the features of higher versions with a single click. No special download, no internet connection required. In my opinion nags are something that interupts your work flow, with popups, messages, delays etc that push you to upgrade. In our case, we simply offer a "passive" offer for users to test drive more power features easily. I am interested to hear the community's take on this. Is offering the full as a built in feature offensive? All feedback, positive or negative is welcome.

Thu May 29, 2008 10:10 pm
Profile WWW

Any one that does not have the full blown edition (this includes PE, Publisher, Express, Pro and Ecom) can test drive the features of higher versions with a single click.

I agree that is a good idea (from your viewpoint), but when you have paid then it should not still be a visible option.

Is offering the full as a built in feature offensive?
I didn't say it was offensive, but it is annoying, and it is nagging. If it the Trial prompt was left in only one location, then it might just be bearable, but not on the main screen....and not three times.

Fri May 30, 2008 4:25 pm
Profile E-mail

Hi, I think this is not a big deal. Once you paid for the full version and you notice that it's still there you kind of wonder why it is still there but then you simply ignore it. However, I should say, Gerald, that in my opinion, I think it should be easy for you guys to disable (grey out) this option for fully paid versions.

By the way, I love what you've done with the Developer edition. Great work!!!

Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:35 pm
Site Admin

I'll see what we can do to reduce the number of occurances. We added it to the startup panel just lately as it seemed like a natural place for this type of feature. Once a project is open, you can't see that panel anyhow. I am surprised that the community is so adement. I rather put developers on adding new features and fixing bugs over this. But It seems that this is more of issue than I would have thought. I am sure that we can do something in the next release. Not a big deal on our side.

Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:18 pm
Profile WWW

What was the solution to the live update failure?

Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:52 pm
Profile E-mail
Site Admin

We have added a link in the About sectoipn of the startup panel. Now when there is a new version you can either launch live updatate or you can manually download the install package using the new link and run it yourself.

Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:38 am
Profile WWW

I have tried both the live update options and followed the directions and prompts. When I start the program up it is still at the 5.3.0.3 version. The manual update also adds icons to my desktop, one called DBQwikSite that gives the error: Cannot find import; DLL may be missing, corrupt, or wrong version. File "libmysql.dll, error 126.

I am using the paid developer edition of DBQwikSite.

Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:03 pm
Profile E-mail

Ok so I backed up my dbqwiksite, dbQwikWebServer, and dbQwikSiteMySQL2MSAccess files in C:\Program Files\dbQwikSite 5 and copied the same icons that the update placed on my desktop into the C:\Program Files\dbQwikSite 5 folder and it loads up as the new version. Weird but it worked. Maybe the manual update needs to be run from inside the C:\Program Files\dbQwikSite 5 folder?

Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:13 pm
Profile E-mail

Live Update still not working.
The download taking quite a while ...25 minutes for the latest one (this is my third try at installing this latest update).

Sat Jun 07, 2008 4:23 am
Profile E-mail

Trying to remain calm....went through all that and now I've got the same error message .....

Cannot find import: DLL may be missing, corrupt, or wrong version.
File "libmysql.dll", error 126

I've had enough for now....the amount of time that I have wasted on what should be routine update operations is ridiculous.

I have no new desktop icons (as in Ben's example).....so any guidance on how to update dbQwikSite would be welcome.

Clicking on the existing dbQwikSite desktop icon generates the error in red above. I had a look at the Target in the Properties of this shortcut and it points to wrong location (points to where the download was run from).

If I bypass this shortcut and open folder: ProgramFiles/dbQwikSite5/...then I can run the .exe (which gives me the previous version...and asks me to update).

Not trying to be awkward, but this update thing is really disruptive.

Sat Jun 07, 2008 4:50 am
Profile E-mail

Hi,

We are looking at what is wrong with this process and hopefully have a fix for it very soon. Granted it should be a trouble-free process and not get you frustrated...

In the meantime, you can download the latest full installer from this URL:

http://www.dbqwiksite.com/ftp/dbqwiksitepe5305.exe

This will install 5.3.0.5. Because this is NOT a live-update, it will prompt you for a target install folder, so make sure you select the same as your previous version. The only inconvenience with installing this full install, is your 'most recent project' list will be reset to include only the Sample Projects. So use 'browse' project to open your projects.

I hope this get you going OK, and hopefully when 5.3.0.6 becomes available, none of you will have troubles!

Olivier
TheDevShop.

Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:07 pm
Profile E-mail

Hello,

It's nice to see others are having a similar problem as I because hate being the only one complaining about such matters.

I have been a very long time user of dbQwikSite and have created numerous sites. I love the program and give high praise to the developers for their continued success and marketing of a great product.

However, I have one very big complaint and quite frankly there is no excuse at all. I am tired of having update issues with dbQwikSite. Live Update used to work fine for a year or so and ever since version 4 I have had nothing but problems. Version 3.x seemed to work fine or perhaps you didn't have Live Update back then. I can't remember. Now I think you guys need to take a serious time out and get this problem fixed or scrap Live Update all together and just offer a working download.

Did I say a working download? That link above or below will not update version 5.3.0.4 to version 5.3.0.5 period. This is really frustrating me expecially since I just forked over more money for a developer version and I now can't get any of the updates for it.

http://www.dbqwiksite.com/ftp/dbqwiksitepe5305.exe

Lets just get this fixed and move on so that we can all continue to support and promote a great product. Right now this update problem is just ridiculous and there's no excuse since it has been going on for quite some time on and off.

As a software devleloper and server admin myself, there are somethings you just need to get done now and this is one of them. You can't be jerking people around with product updates.

Now back to coding PHP manually and shelving your product until someone gets this fixed.

Thanks for listening to a very upset customer.

Jim

Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:24 pm
Profile E-mail

Jim, thanks for replying to this thread - thought for a while I was the only one.

The response from dbQwikSite to this has left me more annoyed that the update thing itself.

There is a dismissive tone in their replies that really grates.

I haven't even bothered clicking on that last link.....I have spent an awful lot of time on this nonsense...and I only upgraded last week!

Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:23 pm
Profile E-mail
Site Admin

The live update issue has been resolved. I would ask anyone still experiencing problems to either post your issue here or send support an email and we will help you through.

I truely regret that this issue caused problems to some users. I can say that the same is true for every bug and every issue, no matter how big or small. And we here at TheDevShop continue to work diligently to make the software as perfect as we can. We never stop trying to improve the user expericence and we hope that people are finding value in thier dbQwikSite software.

sleavy wrote:
There is a dismissive tone in their replies that really grates.

I read the post. For sure I am biased, but when I read it, I see only helpful advice on how to work around this issue and a commitment to do better in the future. The fact that the post was made in non-business hours, itself, is eveidence to the level of dedication our staff to ensure that you (our users) are supported. Most staff here are not native English speakers, please try to keep this in mind when reading the post. There is no hidden meaning, only an earnest desire to help as much as we can.

Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:43 am
Profile WWW