It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:45 am

PostgreSQL please! 

Post PostgreSQL please!
Hello dbQwiksite,

Please would you consider giving us native PostgreSQL access? While MySQL is great for queries and large data volumes, PostgreSQL has much better support for Stored Procedures and Triggers (I know this might be a contentious thing to say but I am basing this purely on my experience with MySQL, combined with over 15 years of working with RDBMS products like DB2, Oracle, Sybase, et al.)

Do you have any plans for PostgreSQL support? Any positive news would be wonderful.

Many thanks for a fine product!

DJ

Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:06 pm
Profile E-mail

Post Re: PostgreSQL please!
http://forum.dbqwiksite.com/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=189#p554

Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:02 am

Can this product be used wit PostgreSQL? I was able to connect to a PostgreSQL, create tables etc. but not being an expert I am unsure if it is feasible to use this product.

Thanks,

Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:25 pm
Profile E-mail

Hey Joyce,

PostgreSQL is indeed free and uses the BSD license, which means you can sell it, re-package it with your applications, etc. MySQL is only free for non-commercial use and you need to purchase a copy for each commercial installation you are doing i.e. if you are making money from your use of it, then you need to purchase a commercial license for it; I have no idea what that cost is.

In my humble opinion PostgreSQL is a technically superior product to MySQL when doing 'proper' business transactions e.g. real-world accounting transactions, where data integrity is paramount. But if all you want to do is build a data-driven web site then any database should serve you well, assuming you are ok with the license terms for that database.

With regards to running dbQwikSite on PostgreSQL, I was told that PostgreSQL support is not on the product's roadmap - at all. So, while you might be able to access PostgreSQL from your Java applications, technically it is not supported by dbQwikSite. So if you run into any issues you will be on your own... Which is a pity because PostgreSQL is such a great database for serious programmers. Anyway, that's the story as I understand it.

Good luck with your projects!

-Daryl

Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:12 pm
Profile E-mail

You can connect to any database for which an ODBC driver exists.

OpenLink provides a suite of Universal Data Access ODBC Drivers for the most popular databases across multiple operating systems.

Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:24 am