It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:01 pm

Selecting SMTP servers 

Post Selecting SMTP servers
I have a number of SMTP servers to select from.
I want to change the server in a project from the existing one it uses to another.
When I go to Project Settings/SMTP Settings, it seems I can't add a new server.
The drop down SMTP Server box shows only the existing server.
If I edit that page to define a new server and regenerate the project, it does not appear to use the new server.
When I go back to the SMTP Settings page, the settings have reverted to the original server, and the new server is still not available from the drop down list.
Something I am missing?
Where does the server list in the drop down box come from?

Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:11 am
Profile E-mail WWW

Post Re: Selecting SMTP servers
Actually you should be able to enter by hand the IP address/server name of your SMTP server. The field is a 'drop-down' list, but it is enterable too, so you do not have to pick one from the list. Just click inside that field (don't drop it down) and enter the value you want.

For the SMTP list, dbQwikSite is able to lookup your MS Outlook accounts settings and extract SMTP information. Any Outlook account you have defined refers to an SMTP IP Address or Server Name. These is where the values are coming from.

So if the project you work on is not for yourself, it is important to always verify this information, otherwise whomever is receiving the web application from you would be sending emails via your SMTP server (but not on your behalf, it would be using their email address as you have to enter it in the dbQwikSite designer).

Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:20 am
Profile E-mail

I had entered the SMTP server name directly in that field as you say (numerous times while trying to change the server).
Interesting that I access four SMTP servers from Outlook Express to clear my emails, yet the dbQwikSite drop down list only shows one of the four, and not the default one I use for outgoing emails.
Feels like that link is broken, and it will not directly accept a new SMTP server definition

Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:33 am
Profile E-mail WWW

Can you tell more about the problem entering the SMTP server?

Looks like you can enter the server name by hand in that field, so what is the subsequent problem? Do you lose that entry as if it was never saved? Or that the generated code ignores that information?

Do you see your SMTP server name after you close and reopen the Project Options? And do you lose it if you close and reopen your project?

Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:52 am
Profile E-mail

I can enter a new server name and any authentication info in the blank fields.
Clicking OK and then going back into the Project Settings still shows the correct new info.
But when I deploy the project the change does not take effect, and when I go back to Project settings the original server and authentication settings are back.
It seems the new server definition is not used or saved.
And nor are any server definitions from Microsoft Outlook imported (except one).

Done the obvious things like change something on the page layout to confirm I am using the newly generated pages for testing!

Just confirming...
New server definition remains through a close/reopen of Project Settings dialog box.
New server definition remains through a save/open another project/reopen this project.
New server name (but not authentication settings) lost through a save/exit/reopen of dbQwikeSite...restored with a second close/open of Project Settings dialog box!
New server definition lost through a deploy/reopen Project Settings...this quite repeatable.

Seems that deploy is the problem- not using/overwriting new definition.

Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:33 pm
Profile E-mail WWW

Yep, you're right! What you are experiencing is a bug.

When you go to the Project Settings dialog, your custom SMTP Server Name will be lost. It is actually the dialog itself that has a problem. If you don't open the dialog, your project remembers it.

And the second case, the deploy SMTP server is saved into Deploy settings but also (bug) it overrides the SMTP settings of the Project Settings dialog. It should be two separate things.

The SMTP settings on the Project Settings are always used when 'Test on PC'. The Deploy Wizard has its own settings ('Production site settings' sort of speak in contrast with 'Test on PC'). If the Deploy wizard does not have an SMTP server, it shows the Project Settings one, otherwise its own.

Fixes will be available in 5.3.0.9 very soon so SMTP settings wont be lost anymore.

Thanks for your detailed analysis.

Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:09 pm
Profile E-mail