It is currently Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:29 am

Fragile program causes lots of frustration 

Post Fragile program causes lots of frustration
Please help me deal with the problems I have been finding. I am trying to get a 3 page website up and running for several weeks now, but every time I make the slightest change to the database, to a query or the item list on one of the pages, the other pages break in bad and unpredictable ways. For example, adding some fields to the details page sometimes adds those fields to the data page, most often dropping an image field I use. Editing the dataset on the Find page (even if you just cancel out and don't make any changes) resets the items list and causes all 27 items to be shown, when I only want 3 items. Most recently, I am having trouble mapping the search page items to the detail page. When I choose a text field, an error comes up about a numeric field being the wrong format. Is there a way to see / change the mapping between the search page and the details page?
I have three fields: Region, Province, and SleepsMax (integer). Every time I pick something other than All for Province, an error comes up: Invalid numeric format for SleepsMax. I tried deleting SleepsMax from the Search page item list, but still when I choose a value for Province, I get an error about the SleepsMax field. How can I check/edit the mapping for the fields? I can see the url is setting fd4=xxx, but what does fd4 correspond to in the details page????

I have found this program to be extremely frustrating because it comes so close to working so often, but then fails dramatically, causing hours and hours of re-work and frustration.

Thanks for listening,

Randy

Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:11 pm
Profile E-mail

Post Re: Fragile program causes lots of frustration
Hi,

I had the same problems as Randy. But no solution! According to my experience, I can say that dbQwikSite is not very stable. As soon as you touch the BD everything break in bad and unpredictable ways.
I hope we will have at least a simple feature as "Ctrl + Z".

Thank you,

Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:12 pm
Profile E-mail
Site Admin

We are looking at this. We have invested a lot of time in trying to make QS allow for changes in the db and ensuring that the design syncs back up to database changes. Believe-you-me this ain't no simple task! Nevertheless, you have a valid point. We really need to dig into what conditions lead to these types of problems. So, I am happy that you report it. We are planning to scrutinize your report to try to figure out why our perfect program is not behaving so perfectly :oops: !!

I think too, part of things that may appear "random" are not as random as you may think. For example datasets are shared across page types. Although it may not be apparent, the datapage, details page and search page all share the same dataset, so what you do to one, you do to all. This may explain why changes affect seemingly unrelated pages.

When you redefined datasets, dbQwikSite tries to look for new items and add them in, the logic is if you want them in your query, you likely want them on your pages. If you columns are invalid (cannot be mapped back a corresponding column in a redefined dataset) they get flagged in the UI to draw this to your attention. Knowing that dbQwikSite tries to remaps columns to page items using the column name, you may want to try to not change column names unless it is necessary.

Maybe knowing the above you guys and gals out there doing real "stuff" can help us understand, what we can do to handle the situations that you are encountering in the field. Please keep the comments coming, not too harsh though, :wink: please.

Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:41 pm
Profile WWW

The comments will benefit my work and your product, which I find quite varied (many features) and practical.

Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:16 pm
Profile E-mail
Site Admin

Thanks for this post. With the detail provided, we managed to track down a bug that has been evading us for a while. We have seen the exception reports but could not determine what actions caused this. While we may not have all the answers yet, we alot closer to squashing this bug. It appears that under cetain conditions, if you redefine the details dataset, it will indeed corrupt the search dataset, which is supposed to synced with the datapage, not te details page. We now know what the problem is, and should have a fix from the developers soon.

Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:16 pm
Profile WWW

Thanks for your responses. I think you are right about the core issue - changing one dataset affects the other, which is not quite what the online help says. It implies you can modify each page's dataset, as long as you keep the "key fields" - whatever that means! I wasn't sure if that meant the primary key fields or what.

Anyway, I seem to have solved my immediate problem by deleting all my items on my search page, refreshing the dataset, then re-adding the items with the item editor.

Thanks again, I appreciate the prompt responses to all my questions.

-Randy

Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:55 am
Profile E-mail